Doctors warn of the health risks from essential oils in scented candles

Doctors warn of the health risks from essential oils in scented candles

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Health experts warn: Essential oils in scented candles are harmful to children
In some households, especially in the run-up to Christmas, attempts are made to create a cozy atmosphere with the help of scented candles, scented sticks or scented lamps. However, pediatricians are now warning that the essential oils that burn or evaporate in them are dangerous to children.

Essential oils are dangerous for toddlers
Cloves, cinnamon and co: In some families, you are currently attuning yourself to the quiet time with typical Christmas smells. But scented candles, scented sticks and scented lamps that burn or evaporate essential oils can be dangerous for infants and young children. This is what the professional association of pediatricians (BVKJ) points out on its website "".

Skin and mucous membrane irritation
"Even though many of the scented candles, sticks and lamps contain natural essential oils, they are harmful to children," explains Dr. Josef Kahl, spokesman for pediatricians. “The combustion releases, among other things, fine dust, soot and in some cases even formaldehyde and is distributed in the air. They can irritate the skin and mucous membranes and also trigger allergies, ”said the expert.

Refrain from flavoring the rooms
In addition, according to the doctor, essential oils in gel form or as a liquid can be swallowed by small children. “And like with candles, there is also a risk of burns here. Where children are, you should avoid flavoring rooms. Scented candles, sticks and lamps as well as the associated oils and gels must also be kept out of the reach of infants and young children, ”warns Kahl.

Scented candles can promote cancer
According to British scientists, some scented candles can even promote cancer, as they sometimes release enormous amounts of formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is toxic, can lead to cancer and can even trigger nosebleeds, coughing or burning eyes in lower doses. As the researchers at the University of York found in a study, the concentrations found in the investigated products were significantly higher than expected. (ad)

Author and source information

Video: For better health, do a shot of this. Ep69 (July 2022).


  1. Kalyan

    Thank you very much, how can I thank you?

  2. Gabriel

    Not a bad blog, but more information needs to be added

  3. Jeriah


  4. Averill

    I can't take part in the discussion right now - there is no free time. But soon I will definitely write what I think.

  5. Zululkis

    In it something is. Many thanks for the help in this question, now I will not commit such error.

Write a message