We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Insect bites: Treat bee and wasp bites correctly in children
In summer temperatures, there is nothing better than sitting outside with a cool soft drink. However, bees and wasps sometimes prove to be a disruptive factor. Especially when children are stung, panic often arises quickly. In most cases, however, this is unfounded. Nevertheless, you should know what to look out for after an insect bite and how to protect yourself from bees and wasps.
When the family sits outside in the garden and one of the children is stung by a bee or wasp, panic often arises quickly. How do you have to react? Does the child or baby need to be taken to the doctor? What helps if a bee or wasp has stung? For reassurance: As long as there is no insect bite allergy, such bites are usually relatively harmless. Nevertheless, some recommendations from experts should be followed.
Call emergency services in the event of allergic reactions
In principle, calm should be kept with an insect bite. If an allergic reaction has already occurred in a child who has been bitten, the emergency services should be called immediately on telephone number 112.
Unfortunately, an insect venom allergy is often underestimated, even though wasp stings can lead to death from an allergy.
An allergic reaction can be recognized by, among other things, massive reddening and swelling, which does not only occur at the puncture site.
Three million Germans are allergic to the stings
Prof. Dr. also confirmed how important it is to observe insect bites and bites in order to detect an allergy if necessary. Thilo Jakob, Director of the Clinic for Dermatology and Allergology in Gießen.
"Under certain circumstances, this knowledge can be life-saving," said the expert. "Around three million Germans are allergic to a wasp or bee sting, and about twenty of them die of an allergic shock every year."
However, even if no allergy is known or if no allergic reactions initially occur, the child who has been bitten should be observed. If you experience certain symptoms in the next few hours, you should call a doctor.
These symptoms include swelling of the mouth or throat, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, fever or chills, difficulty breathing, rash, nausea and vomiting.
Simple home remedies have proven their worth
In the event of an allergy shock, first aid must be provided quickly. The affected child must be put in shock until the doctor comes. The part of the body with the puncture should be lower than the heart.
Especially in the case of insect bites in the mouth, ice cubes are advantageous for sucking so that the airways do not swell.
For non-allergy sufferers, ointments or insect sticks as well as various home remedies for wasp stings and bee stings can help.
These include, among other things, your own saliva, which is rubbed on the sting, as well as aloe vera, onions, fresh ribwort, clove oil, wraps of clay and vinegar water or herbs from the garden such as parsley or basil.
The most important thing is: cooling, cooling, cooling!
Avoid bee and wasp stings
Prevention is even better than the treatment of stings. Although you cannot protect your child from it with 100 percent certainty, some home remedies for wasps and bees can often keep the insects away.
For example, the animals can be steered away from their own place of residence outdoors by “feeding places” with overripe fruit or sugar water. Fly screens can be helpful in the house. Fall fruit in the garden is always best removed quickly.
Bright clothes and perfumes attract wasps and bees and should therefore be avoided. In addition, children should not be given dark drinking bottles, because otherwise they cannot see whether there is an animal in their drink. (ad)